Monday, May 26, 2008

Quotes from Giants

Voices of some of my revered photogs:

Don McCullin

Photography for me is not looking, it's feeling. If you can't feel what you're looking at, then you're never going to get others to feel anything when they look at your pictures. - Don McCullin, Sleeping With Ghosts : A Life's Work in Photography by Don McCullin

"""""
Although I take my work seriousily I cannot take myself seriously. When you think of it, everything has happened by accident. I have always believed that I don't own my photography, rather that it owns me. It gave me a life, an extraordinary life which could never be repeated. I feel as if the gift of seeing what is really going on in the world is mine only so long as I put it to proper use. There is nothing to be claimed and nothing to regret, except that we go on treating our fellow human beings so badly.

"""""
I am sometimes accused by my peers of printing my pictures too dark. All I can say is that it goes with the mood of melancholy that is induced by witnessing at close quarters such intractable situations of conflict and joylessness.

"""""

I don’t believe you can see what’s beyond the edge unless you put your head over it; I’ve many times been right up to the precipice, not even a foot or an inch away. That’s the only place to be if you’re going to see and show what suffering really means... I've spent fourteen years getting on and off aeroplanes and photographing other people's conflicts. I will never get on another aeroplane and go photograph another country's war.

"""""

Soldiers firing rifles in war make ordinary pictures because without the action, the smell and the noise, you have no truth...

"""""

You can only demand respect from the energies around us if you practice respect yourself.

No comments:

Speaking Frankly

AOL Photo Talk: All Things Photographic

Earthbound Light Photography Tips

Nikonians News - Photography & Imaging News and Podcasts

Imaging Insider

Dphoto.us: Digital Photography News & Reviews - Digital Imaging News

Nat Geo Shot of the Day

PopPhoto: Photography Newswire